The following instructions are for adding a network share to your computer. Network shares are created and managed by TDI Computing. To have a network share created for your group, submit a request to TDI Computing with the name of the share, the list of collaborators, their NetID’s and the access permissions for each user (i.e. Read, Write or Read/Write).
Note: You must be connected to the Dartmouth Secure network or VPN to join or access the network share
- Go to your Desktop or open a new Finder window
- From the File menu at the top of the screen, click Go and then select “Connect to server…” from the drop down menu
- At the Connect to Server window, enter the following in the Server Address field (replacing YOUR SHARE NAME with the name of the share you requested):
afp://tdi-synology.dartmouth.edu/YOUR SHARE NAME
- Click the plus button (+) to the right of the Server Address field to add this share to the list of your Favorite Servers for future access as moving between networks will occasionally disconnect your share
- Click the Connect button.
- If the following authentication window pops up, enter the following information as it applies to you:
- The Connecting to… window will pop up momentarily as you are connected and then your shared directory will open in a new window
Note: If you are disconnected from the network share, you will be able to access it easily now by navigating to Go > Connect to server… and then double clicking your network share in your Favorite Servers list.
- Go to your Desktop or open a new explorer window
- Right-click on the desktop or within your explorer window and hover your mouse over New and then click Shortcut
- At the Create Shortcut window, enter the following in the location field (replacing YOUR SHARE NAME with the name of the share you requested)::
“\\tdi-synology.dartmouth.edu\YOUR SHARE NAME”
Note: Your entire entry will need to begin and end with quotation marks if the name of your network share has spaces in it
- Click the Next button
- If the Windows Security window pops up, enter the following information as it applies to you:
- Once you have successfully connected, you will come to the naming window. Enter the name of the share as you would like it to appear on your desktop and then click Finish
- Your new share will now appear on your desktop
If you run into problems installing the printer, please contact TDI Computing.